Saturday, May 25, 2013

Serving it up!

My brother and I were very blessed to have the opportunity to travel overseas as children with our family. My favorite memories are when we travelled to Europe with both our Grandmothers and parents. We climbed many steep windy roads to castles and dined in many pubs. Of course we didn't have a drop of beer; however, we collected many many coasters from all over Europe.

About a year ago I remembered that my parents had this bag of coasters and asked them if I could have them. Not wanting to part with the memories, they asked me what I was going to do with them. I didn't know but I knew I was going to make something for my brother.

Then it came to me....a serving tray. So I picked the coolest coasters and started arranging them in a wooden tray I purchased from Hobby Lobby. Of course I used a 40% off coupon! It is like a puzzle so make sure you are happy with the layout before you start adhering. Planning is key.

I used Modge Podge to paint lightly on the bottom of each coaster just to secure them to the tray. After, I placed books on the tray to ensure that the coasters adhered to the tray.

After about 24 hours, I decided to start reading the directions on the epoxy I bought. [And yes, you MUST read the directions] It was about $20 and my Dad and hubby picked it up for me at Home Depot.  I got two trays out of one box.

I followed the directions on the box exactly. My only amendments to the directions are:
1) Be prepared to be able to monitor the project for 3 to 4 hours. Bubbles will surface and pop. The epoxy will start setting and once it starts setting you need to blow the bubbles so they pop. Bubbles will cause craters in the final product so it is important that you continue to check back and pop the bubbles. I think I had more because of the nature of the product I had in the resin. Coasters are porous and have air bubbles. That is my theory.
2) Use a hair band to secure your hair back. This is KEY. I was so over blowing out the bubbles that I got sloppy and didn't hold my hair back once. That was all it took as I looked down to 1/2" of my hair immersed in epoxy. UGH! I totally thought I was going to have to head for a haircut but I did get it out and the project was fixable. Thank goodness!


Pretty pleased with the finished product and my brother looked pleased as well when he received his belated birthday gift on a recent visit! We all had a nice trip down memory lane looking at the different coasters and reminiscing on our European vacations.

Display your memories - don't hide them away!

~ Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment