Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Typewriter Board

Can't imagine how life existed before Pinterest..... In the "old" days I would blog hop and find ideas and save them to my favorites. I first saw this in Potterybarn and it was of course pricey!!! Those of you who know me know I LOVE PB but can't always afford their prices. Then I saw these 2 blog posts .... {here} and {here}.

They both provide great step by step directions and two different results, so I knew I could tackle this!

What you need:

  • 24x24 plywood
  • Stain of your color choice
  • Sandpaper
  • Printed Typewriter keys - You can download these from {here}
  • Nails - whatever type of nail you want to use. I used small black carpet nails for an antique look.
  • Mod Podge
  • Metal corners - I used Tim Holz sold at Michael's Craft Store. Don't forget your coupon! 




Using the 24x24 plywood board that I purchased at Home Depot, I measured out and marked 4 inches so I had 6 - 4" blocks in each direction = 36 letters and numbers for the board. My dad used his table saw to cut on the 4" marks a 1/4" deep cut.

I stained it to the color I wanted, then Mod Podged the cut out letters to the board. Then I hammered in the nails in the four corners of each letter except for the exterior corners where the metal corner is attached. I had to pace myself with that because my fingers were raw! 













I used 3M picture hangers to hang it on the wall and voila! I am loving it! 

What PB knock-offs have you tried?
~Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment