Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Outdoor DIY Art


I love browsing through the dollar store and finding items to alter into something fabulous. I found some wall plaques with a flat surface and I had thought they would be perfect to adhere a photo to and Mod-Podge over it for a floating photo effect. So I bought a couple to experiment and they sat in my scrapbook room.......hoarder! Positive intentions collecting dust. 

Until, Cathy told me about these photos that she and her husband had taken that she wanted to use on her covered deck. Her daughter-in-law suggested to use the bird pics, I came up with the project and Cathy was the brawn and had the gorgeous pics! Since it is outside but is covered from most of the elements (mainly water) I thought the Mod-Podge seal would be perfect.

So one Friday, Cathy printed 4 - 8x10 photos of her birds and we got started!

All you need is:

  • foam brush
  • Mod Podge in matte finish
  • 8x10 picture - trimmed to match the size of your board
  • picture board - I got mine at the Dollar Tree in the frame section


1. Paint Mod Podge on the
board
2. Position the photo on the 
board

3. Smooth out the photo so
there aren't any bubble
4. Paint Mod Podge over the
photo, edges and back to seal.

5. Let the pictures dry. 
6. Cathy's Margaritas was how
we passed the time! YUM!

 Voila! Cathy hung them with the 3M picture hangers. How awesome does that look? 
So cute -- and all for under $4 each! I am going to take beach pics and do this for my sunroom! I can't wait! They look great on her deck, highlight treasured memories and add to the outdoor decor! 

~Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment