Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Rayman Master Reno - Countertop Facelift

We have lived in our house for six years and like many of you, decorated each room BUT our master. Life happens and "you" always get put last! With other major renos behind us, the master bathroom reno is at least 5 years out --- after the in ground pool! Soooo.....I decided we needed to give the old master bathroom a facelift for now.

I wanted to paint the walls, but I bought a kit to update the countertops in a granite faux finish and decided that should be done first. I have had this kit for about 5 months and I must say, I was a bit intimidated. Really, our countertop couldn't be more bland. Do you agree?

I thought so! I honestly thought my hubby would protest, but I think he figured if it was a disaster we could just buy a new counter top sooner than later. Gotta love the support!

This is the kit I bought for $64 >> Giani Granite FG-GI SICILIAN Sicilian Granite Paint Kit For Countertops, Sicilian Sand

I am an Amazon Prime member. Well worth the benefits. I could easily become a hermit with shopping this easy! I am convinced that I save money since I don't buy the extra items that make it into my cart in the actual stores. That is my story and I am sticking to it! 

The kit comes with a video, so I watched the video - all 16 minutes of it. Of course, they made it look so easy, but it gave me the confidence. They have many colors to choose from so look at the other choices. There are 3 phases so it will basically take you 3 days.

Prep - When painting anything, prep work is the key. Take your time!


1.  Black Primer - This is the base and needs to dry for 8 hours. Prep your hubby for this! It is not the end result!


2.  Faux Granite Treatment - Also known as sponge painting! Drying time 4 hours. My learning was to make sure you change how you hold the sponge so that you get more of a random application














3.  Sealer - 2 coats with a drying time of 4 hours between each. 


If you like to paint [or can at least tolerate it], I recommend giving this a try. I wouldn't attempt a whole kitchen, but that is me. I like quick results and don't have the patience for that much surface!
Before

After
 After all is said and done, I am pleasantly surprised and happy with the end result. It was a huge change from stark white and I am still getting used to it. But for the time and price, it was worth the investment! 

Now......what color do I paint the walls???? Any ideas? Stay tuned!

~Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment