Sunday, June 16, 2013

DIY Frames for Gifts

Oh my goodness - We can't believe that we have reached over 1000 pageviews today! We are soooo flattered and speechless. Thank you to all of you who have viewed and continue to come back and spend time with us! Phase 2 is our Website where we will have some products for purchase. Can't wait to share that milestone with all of you!

Things have been so busy for us lately! Running from party to party and spending time with friends at BBQs. The good thing is that it wears out my lil one! {and me too!} Believe it or not I (Jenn) am the lazy crafter. I like a quick craft with huge results. This is partly because of my patience but mostly because I don't have much time.

I do LOVE making presents. I will take the time because I know how much people appreciate the thought and effort that goes into them as long as they are personal for the receiver. When my neighbor was having a graduation party, of course it is customary to give cash to assist with all the piling expenses that the next phase of life will bring but I had to make it personal somehow.

I thought that I would make a frame. This could serve as the presentation as well as hold memories. And I knew just the paper that would be perfect for this beautiful, sophisticated lady.

What you need:
  • Wooden frame (purchased mine from Michael's in the unfinished wood section) 
  • White glue
  • Exacto knife
  • Sandpaper, optional
  • 1 - 12x12 sheet of scrapbook paper of your choice
  • Coordinating embellishments
  • Other adhesives depending on your embellishments
NOTE: When you are selecting the paper, make sure that you are mindful of the picture cutout and where that will fall once you adhere the paper. You will cut out the paper for the picture so be sure you aren't cutting out something that you wanted to have on the frame itself. I had to turn my frame to figure out placement. This also will help inform the type of embellishments you will use based on your playing area. Also, be sure that you use thick paper. I have used really cute thin light colored paper before and you can clearly see where the glue was applied. UGH!

I think this is the perfect paper for a graduation from My Mind's Eye. "Spread your wings and fly..."Plus, I love birds and what the symbolize.

  1. First, remove any wrapping and glass where the frame goes. Set aside. You may want to paint the frame to coordinate with the paper. I liked the raw wood with this paper so I skipped this step.
  2. Set the frame right side up and apply Scotch white glue around the edge of the frame and around the picture cutout. Apply a thin line - not too much or it will ooze out of the sides. You want it close enough to the edges that it will spread and not run over but allow a small amount of space for that to happen. If it does ooze, just wipe with a paper towel. 
  3. Then set the scrapbook paper at the edges to minimize the need to trim. You should have already figured out placement so this should be easy. Set the paper down and rub in the areas that you know you applied glue. Wipe away any oozes and ensure there aren't any bubbles. The beauty is that if you mess this up, just pull up the paper and apply more glue {if needed} and reposition. 
  4. Then, I flip the frame over and rub the back to ensure it adheres. You should be able to see along the edges where the excess paper needs to be trimmed. Take your exacto knife and run it along the edge of the frame in one straight line. You will do the same to the frame cutout. Clean up any jagged edges. You can use sand paper for this too if you need to.
  5. Flip the frame back over to the paper side and assess embellishment placement. Believe it or not I like to arrange and play before I commit. I find that the more I play the more ideas I have. 
  6. Adhere your embellishments. I like a 3D look so stacking the chipboard stickers and using bling and flowers is totally the look I was going for. I don't get to do much girlie stuff! I used the brown bling and cut it apart. Don't think you have to use it as it came packaged!
The final presentation. I love it and now I want one :)

Hope you are all spending quality time with your loved ones this Father's Day!
~ Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment