Wednesday, June 12, 2013

YUM - Italian Veggies on the Grill


I love summertime for many reasons but mainly being outdoors. Being able to cook dinner on the grill outside is a complete bonus and not to mention less mess! I think I am allergic to measuring cups and I know whose fault that is - my dad of course. He has always made up recipes and just measured in the palm of his hand and used his taste buds as the judge. Can't go wrong with that! That is why I love recipes where I don't have to measure and I don't need directions!

Besides the time to cut all the veggies this is a quick hit and great for grilling.

I layer all the following veggies in a 9x12 foil pan (I use a glass dish). The heartier veggies to cook like squash and potatoes are at the bottom.
  • Tomatoes
  • Red, green, yellow and orange peppers
  • Yellow Squash
  • Zucchini
  • Yellow onion
  • Can of peeled white potatoes

These are the veggies I use but the possibilities are endless!

Once it is all layered in the pan I sprinkle Italian dressing mix all over the veggies. For a large tray like this, I used a package and a half. Usually if I am grilling I don't add anything else because the juices from the veggies are all you really need but this time I added balsamic vinegar and red wine vinegar (a 1/4 cup maybe of each). I don't know the cooking time but I just check the squash. It does take at least 20 minutes so be sure to put this on before you start the meat so everything is ready together. Mix occasionally to ensure none of the veggies burn to the bottom.

Another alternative to cooking is the just put all of the mixture in a pot on the stove. We recently had to do this because the valve to our grill came unhooked. Why does this only happen when you have company?

All the veggies will be a mushy soupy yummy mix. Sprinkle Parmesan and serve....YUM! Even people who don't eat veggies will enjoy this!

Enjoy!

~Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment